lunedì 5 aprile 2021

Marginalia article. Michele's opinions

‘What I Really Want Is Someone Rolling Around in the Text’ - The New York Times (nytimes.com)


1. What was the main idea of the article? 

The main idea of the article is the author's passion for marginalia. He tells the way he found his way for a new passion by reading books. It is for him a strict, deep interaction with the book he is reading.

2.What was your opinion of the article? 

My opinion is very negative. I think the article author should study more history of European culture because he has not an idea of the real meaning of the history of marginalia. Because it has Americanized and trivialized a very old European practice that is over a thousand years old. The medieval marginalia is famous and I don't understand why the writer doesn't know them. The word Marginalia is not a real Latin word but it is derived from the Classic Latin margo -gĭnis «margin».

3. Was there any part of the article you didn't understand? 

Unfortunately, I can understand every single part of the article.

4. Was there any part of the article you disagreed with? 

As a European person, I can only disagree with the entire article. I can agree just on one point. The act of finding yourself a passion, a relationship, a way to live books. At the same time, I hope the author can understand what he reads and I don't think he tried to find the historical excursus about what he is reading.

5. Did you take notes on the article? How did your note-taking confirm (or not confirm) the main idea of the reading? 

I have underlined some parts of the article, translated some words. I have underlined especially the parts that show his ignorance about the topic he is talking about. It looks like a Da Vinci style trivialization of European culture. I suggest medieval marginalia, the marginalia of the Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi and the artist Michelangelo.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

The reason why as a worker in a business company I should respond positively to changes in products or services.

 Business Writing: The reason why as a worker in a business company I should respond positively to changes in products or services. I should...